Skip to main content

Recognizing the Importance of Fathers

In a world with increasingly more feminist movements, men are becoming more and more insignificant in the eyes of the media. Sadly, it isn't uncommon for men to be ignored, looked down upon, or easily forgotten. People tend to forget, however, that you and I are here because of MEN and women. This simple concept has been a fact of this world since its creation. Today I want to stress the importance of men, and in particular, fathers.
Startling statistics about homes with absent fathers really helps to describe the tremendous impact fathers have on children.
For example, 63% of youth suicides are from fatherless homes-- 5 times the average. And a startling 80% of youths in prison come from fatherless homes-- 20 times the average. These are only a couple of the several that were detected through research. (The link to these facts, and much more, is at the bottom of the page)
It is clearly evident that fathers have a huge impact on family life.
While these statistics focus more on the total absence of fathers in homes, the frequent absence of fathers from excess work or other tasks, also has a huge impact on the family. Most jobs are 40 hours a week, with 10 hours of traveling time and 5 plus hours of work brought home. This leaves the wife and kid(s) without a husband and father for about 55 hours a week. What goes on in those 55 hours is handled and maintained by the mother.
Towards the beginning of my blog, if you can remember, I wrote about the culture of families. I remember reading something as I was studying on that particular topic, that has since stuck with me. There was a family that immigrated from Mexico to the United States. The father had to leave his family for 1 or 2 years to America before they could come. He did this in hopes of getting a job and a good home for them when they would come. When they finally reunited, one of the sons commented on the fact that he didn't really remember his father. He didn't have as much respect for his father as he did his mother--because he was gone for so long. One of the other sons ended up dropping out of high school when his father left to help support his mother financially and with the daily household work. Another family in the same case study, mentioned one of the sons acting out and getting into gangs amongst other bad influences. While their circumstances are different than most fathers in the United States today, the results are quite clear and similar to the absent fathers today.

So why is it important for fathers to be there and to be involved? What is it that they do?
Father involvement starts when the child is born. When a father interacts with his baby and engages in stimulating activities, statistics show that the child is more likely to not fall behind cognitively. Fathers are role models to their children. They show their children how to act in society and how to stand up for themselves, how to love, how to treat others, how to enjoy life, and to never take anything for granted. Fathers are important and men are important. Let us not diminish their amazing role.

I completely understand if some of you might read this and think about your father and realize that he wasn't anything like I described above. Fathers are tricky. You might have had a father who was at home often and was physically involved, but he wasn't a father who was involved emotionally. Because of this, you might not have a relationship with your father that you hold near to your heart. I encourage those of you who feel this way to look around you. Look for those who will be future fathers and help them to see the purpose that your father might not have seen.
Fathers are just as important as mothers are. The two work together to grow a family that loves and cares for one another. Without a father figure in the home, I believe that that is quite impossible to accomplish.

Every home is different. No matter your circumstances, build a footprint within the home. Decide what it is you want to have and go and get it.

~karlie


https://thefatherlessgeneration.wordpress.com/statistics/
https://www.cfuf.org/Filestream.aspx?FileID=14


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello blogger friends! While we all love French fries, funnel cakes, and fried chicken, I think we can agree that the best "f" word, is family-- and that's exactly why I am here. I am Karlie Godfrey. I am currently attending Brigham Young University-Idaho as a Child Development Major. On "my eternal team", I will share my thoughts and opinions on family. For the next three months, my posts will consist mainly of my thoughts on a wide variety of topics discussed in my Family Relations class.  I'm new to blogging and I am excited to start this journey; I hope you will enjoy it with me! Please feel free to comment on my posts and give me some awesome feedback:) p.s. keep an eye out for the links to my classmates blogs too... you won't regret it:) Live happy, Karlie

More than "Just a piece of paper"

Nothing worth having comes easy. Throughout my life I have had the opportunity to witness a lot of marriages. I have seen the good and the bad. The fun and the scary. I have never been married myself, but the experiences I have gained throughout my life give me a sense of what I want a marriage to look like. I get that it is scary and unknown, but as I was thinking about what I could do to prepare now for marriage, I thought about my expectations. What did I think a happy marriage looked like? What did I see myself doing? How did I act? Would it be hard to acclimate to this new way of life? Would I be the perfect wife and have the perfect husband? Today, I'll tell you exactly what I think marriage should be like. First, let's start off by looking at the dictionary meaning of the word marriage. The Merriam Webster Dictionary defines it as: "Being in the state of matrimony of or relating to marriage; united, joined. While I agree with this definition, I also think marriage

Life's Greatest Calling

One of the hardest, and most important things we will ever do on Earth is create and raise children. I hope I have made it clear the past 12 weeks, that children are essential and that we should not delay having children. The children today, are our futures tomorrow. On this blog I have covered how to date, courtship, communication in dating/marriage, preparing for marriage, the importance of marriage, and sexual intimacy; so the only logical thing to cover next is raising children. I can not tell you HOW to raise children, but I can tell you what it is children need to thrive. There are five needs I am going to touch upon. While there are many, many, MANY more needs, I feel these are the ones many parents don't always recognize. The first need is: Need for contact and belonging When a child is not receiving enough contact or he feels as though he doesn't belong, what does he do? He seeks undue attention. Those who are seeking undue attention, usually come off as "an