Skip to main content

Using the 5 Secrets

We have an innate drive to communicate with others, yet we struggle to do so each and every day. Think about that. Why is it so hard to talk to those around us? If it is an innate desire, why doesn't it just come naturally? Communication can come in four ways:
  1. Verbal 
  2. Non-verbal
  3. Written
  4. Visual
Learning how to effectively communicate in any form, is highly important. A study researching the most common way people communicate to others found that 14% of communication is through words, 35% is through tone, and 51% is non-verbal, and of course, written and visual communication are also evident in daily life, but were not apart of the study. 
So what does this mean, is this good or bad? Honestly, I can not answer that question for you. All I know is that, personally, I think verbal communication should have a higher percentage. It is sad that verbal communication is only 14%. 
Being able to communicate, in the right way, is important in your education, your career, your relationships, and especially, your family and marital relationships. You all know what part of communication I am going to focus on. You guessed it, family/ marital relationships and communication.
First and foremost, verbal communication is absolutely, 100% important in any marital relationship. There will be moments in your marriage, and any relationship really, where you will disagree with your significant other. I want to share something I learned this week that is not natural, but  "supernatural". :) This will help you to communicate most effectively. It is called The Five Secrets, they are as follows. 
1. Use the disarming technique
            - don't be defensive
            - focus on the kernel of truth. Whoever you are communicating with might be saying things you disagree with, but find something they are saying that is true. It might be small, but it is still truth. 
2. Express Empathy
            - Express empathy to your significant other both through thoughts and through feelings. You might ask, why thoughts? If you aren't thinking positively or lovingly about your significant other, how can you show you care when you are communicating? You can't. I know it is hard. I struggle with this when communicating with people too, but I have learned from experience, that not having empathy or not seeing their point of view won't further the communication--it will halt it. 
3. Inquiry
            - "Did I get that right?" When you are communicating with someone, especially your significant other, ask them if you are understanding what they are saying correctly. DO NOT ask in a sarcastic or demeaning manner. Ask in love and pure want for understanding, if what you are perceiving they are saying is correct. 
4. I Feel Statement
            - Use this statement when you describe how you are feeling.
            - when: statement/event happened
            - I feel/felt: this emotion
            - because: thoughts
            - I would like: hopes, desires, etc.
5. Stroking
            - express admiration and appreciation, love and care are very important

The 5 Secrets might sound weird or unnatural, but it is proven to help improve communication. I cannot stress enough how important this is. When asked, 65% of people said that communication problems were the main cause of their divorce. 65%!! Please think about how you are communicating. What form of communication do you use the most, how can you improve, what is best for you and your relationship's well-being? If you are having communication problems with someone, talk to them about it. Communicate. It will be hard, there will be disagreement, but use the 5 Secrets and talk to them with love. I think we will all be surprised at the results.

We need to communicate so clearly, not so we can be understood, but so we can't be mis-understood.

~Karlie 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello blogger friends! While we all love French fries, funnel cakes, and fried chicken, I think we can agree that the best "f" word, is family-- and that's exactly why I am here. I am Karlie Godfrey. I am currently attending Brigham Young University-Idaho as a Child Development Major. On "my eternal team", I will share my thoughts and opinions on family. For the next three months, my posts will consist mainly of my thoughts on a wide variety of topics discussed in my Family Relations class.  I'm new to blogging and I am excited to start this journey; I hope you will enjoy it with me! Please feel free to comment on my posts and give me some awesome feedback:) p.s. keep an eye out for the links to my classmates blogs too... you won't regret it:) Live happy, Karlie

More than "Just a piece of paper"

Nothing worth having comes easy. Throughout my life I have had the opportunity to witness a lot of marriages. I have seen the good and the bad. The fun and the scary. I have never been married myself, but the experiences I have gained throughout my life give me a sense of what I want a marriage to look like. I get that it is scary and unknown, but as I was thinking about what I could do to prepare now for marriage, I thought about my expectations. What did I think a happy marriage looked like? What did I see myself doing? How did I act? Would it be hard to acclimate to this new way of life? Would I be the perfect wife and have the perfect husband? Today, I'll tell you exactly what I think marriage should be like. First, let's start off by looking at the dictionary meaning of the word marriage. The Merriam Webster Dictionary defines it as: "Being in the state of matrimony of or relating to marriage; united, joined. While I agree with this definition, I also think marriage

Life's Greatest Calling

One of the hardest, and most important things we will ever do on Earth is create and raise children. I hope I have made it clear the past 12 weeks, that children are essential and that we should not delay having children. The children today, are our futures tomorrow. On this blog I have covered how to date, courtship, communication in dating/marriage, preparing for marriage, the importance of marriage, and sexual intimacy; so the only logical thing to cover next is raising children. I can not tell you HOW to raise children, but I can tell you what it is children need to thrive. There are five needs I am going to touch upon. While there are many, many, MANY more needs, I feel these are the ones many parents don't always recognize. The first need is: Need for contact and belonging When a child is not receiving enough contact or he feels as though he doesn't belong, what does he do? He seeks undue attention. Those who are seeking undue attention, usually come off as "an