Skip to main content

The family mechanism

Look around you. What do you see? Do you see a thermostat? A television? A refrigerator or maybe even an oven?
You might ask, what do all of these things have in common? Each one of these things is a mechanism. They all work together, with their own individual parts, to create and do amazing things.

The family is like each of these mechanisms. A family works together to create remarkable, life changing, things. Like the parts in a mechanism, individual family members have specific roles they take on-- each with its own unique responsibilities and each as equally important. Fathers set an example to their daughters, provide for their family, tell endless Dad Jokes, and keep everyone safe. Mothers care for their children, they cook, they clean, they read silly books, listen to the same song over and over and OVER again. Children create a sense of innocence in the home, they bring laughter, learning experiences for everyone, and they help each member of the family develop deeper connections together. While some of these roles may seem insignificant, they each have a major purpose in the family dynamic.
The characteristics of each family member build a stronger family. To help capitalize on the importance of roles in the family, lets imagine 5 people standing in a circle holding hands, In the circle there is a mom, a dad, a sister, and two brothers. There is also one person outside of the circle.

The sister had a hard day at school. Her friends were mean, she failed her test, and she spilled her lunch in the lunchroom. Imagine the person outside of the circle pull back on the sisters shoulder, symbolizing her stress. As her shoulders pull back, the family moves with her. They readjust, and help her to stand straight again. The cycle continues throughout each member of the family. Because they are all linked together, they can support each other in their own way. When the dad was having a hard time, maybe the sister didn't readjust as much because her mom already repositioned her feet. Maybe when one of the brothers was struggling, the other brother pulled the weight and helped him to come back into the circle. Together, families can accomplish so much. It truly is a blessing that God gave us our families so that we wouldn't wander in the wilderness alone. However, not all families function the same way as the family above.

Sometimes there are roles that aren't quite as healthy or as beneficial to a certain member of a family or to the family as a whole. Most of the time, these roles detract from the family and actually cause a gap in their relationships. When you are with your family, do you ever feel like a dumpster? You know, like the person everyone goes to, to "spill the beans" or to "vent"? It can kind of be exhausting. Who is going to the take time to listen to you and your needs when you are the one always listening? How about being rebellious? The one person who does something "less than ideal" even when they know that they shouldn't. What about the couch potato in the family or the person who takes on the role of a parent, because someone has to step in? Do you recognize any of these roles--do they affect you personally in your family? It can be hard to grow individually when the stress of family weighs you down. When certain roles exist in a family, family growth is stagnant-no progress-no real victories.

Families can be hard, but they can also be the most rewarding part of life. To those who might not have the healthiest relationship with their family, what can you do to help your current (or future) family have healthy roles?
Families create eternal happiness, but only when each individual part  works together to keep the mechanism moving forward. If one part stops moving or tries to switch its role, the whole mechanism will break and fall apart. Let's all strive to be a little better today than we were yesterday so that we can all be better parts of our eternal mechanism.



Iive happy,
Karlie
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello blogger friends! While we all love French fries, funnel cakes, and fried chicken, I think we can agree that the best "f" word, is family-- and that's exactly why I am here. I am Karlie Godfrey. I am currently attending Brigham Young University-Idaho as a Child Development Major. On "my eternal team", I will share my thoughts and opinions on family. For the next three months, my posts will consist mainly of my thoughts on a wide variety of topics discussed in my Family Relations class.  I'm new to blogging and I am excited to start this journey; I hope you will enjoy it with me! Please feel free to comment on my posts and give me some awesome feedback:) p.s. keep an eye out for the links to my classmates blogs too... you won't regret it:) Live happy, Karlie

More than "Just a piece of paper"

Nothing worth having comes easy. Throughout my life I have had the opportunity to witness a lot of marriages. I have seen the good and the bad. The fun and the scary. I have never been married myself, but the experiences I have gained throughout my life give me a sense of what I want a marriage to look like. I get that it is scary and unknown, but as I was thinking about what I could do to prepare now for marriage, I thought about my expectations. What did I think a happy marriage looked like? What did I see myself doing? How did I act? Would it be hard to acclimate to this new way of life? Would I be the perfect wife and have the perfect husband? Today, I'll tell you exactly what I think marriage should be like. First, let's start off by looking at the dictionary meaning of the word marriage. The Merriam Webster Dictionary defines it as: "Being in the state of matrimony of or relating to marriage; united, joined. While I agree with this definition, I also think marriage

Life's Greatest Calling

One of the hardest, and most important things we will ever do on Earth is create and raise children. I hope I have made it clear the past 12 weeks, that children are essential and that we should not delay having children. The children today, are our futures tomorrow. On this blog I have covered how to date, courtship, communication in dating/marriage, preparing for marriage, the importance of marriage, and sexual intimacy; so the only logical thing to cover next is raising children. I can not tell you HOW to raise children, but I can tell you what it is children need to thrive. There are five needs I am going to touch upon. While there are many, many, MANY more needs, I feel these are the ones many parents don't always recognize. The first need is: Need for contact and belonging When a child is not receiving enough contact or he feels as though he doesn't belong, what does he do? He seeks undue attention. Those who are seeking undue attention, usually come off as "an