Skip to main content

Should we be worried about the family?

Where would you be without your family--without that constant support system? Without your trial-enduring side-kicks, the endless inside jokes, and the forever love? Can you even imagine such a life?

Research shows, that across the globe, the average number of children per woman is decreasing. A recent study conducted in 2017, found that the fertility rate for The United States was only 1.8 children per woman. That is a major decrease from an average rate of 3.7 in 1960. What is causing this sudden decrease in childbirth? When asked about having children, many people mentioned the financial strains involved in child-bearing, the lack of desire to have a large family, and some even admitted that having children or a family was simply not necessary. While the choice to have children is ultimately between the father and the mother, many aspects of childbearing affect everyone around the world. 
These factors including:
  • Population/depopulation
  • The lack of a future workforce
  • A change in the housing market
  • Emotional, Moral, and Spiritual support
The first factor is population. Population is a big deal, and I mean literally. We have about 7.7 billion people living on Earth as of 2019. For several years, the debate concerning overpopulating the world has reached across every corner of the Earth and has been studied by several scientists. In the United States, the replacement fertility rate (rate at which the population will replace itself), is 2.1. If the average woman is only having 1.8 children in her lifetime, the number of people will significantly decrease, and may eventually lead to depopulation. 
Not only will the number of people on Earth decrease, but the number of workers will dramatically fall below what we need to keep our civilization running. The younger generation of workers will have to fill shoes that are too big to fill. With thousands of different fields and jobs to choose from, this new generation will simply not be able to fulfill every career need. If there are not enough young people to work, then the average, experienced, working adult will have to work much longer--way past the current retirement age of 66 years old. 
The third factor is a change in the housing market. While an impact in the housing market may not be the first consequence you think of for not having children, it certainly is important. Let's think about this. How many children did your parents have? Grandparents? Great grandparents? I would venture to guess that the generations that preceded you have had more children than what you commonly see today. Now, what happens when your grandparents want to sell their 3,000 square foot, four bedroom house--will they sell it easily? There is a small chance that they will, but there is an even bigger chance, that because families are increasingly smaller, very few offers will be placed on such an impressive home. Large homes will be on the market longer than smaller, more efficient, homes--costing homeowners thousands upon thousands of dollars.
The last factor is the emotional, moral, and even spiritual support that families can develop together. People need people. It is a well-known fact of life. Children who have siblings are more likely to work well in groups, socialize with those around them, and connect with people from multiple generations. When children grow up with a brother or sister they have someone to rant to, someone to confide in, and someone to grow up with. One researcher at the University of Penn State, found that the relationships siblings build can be influential and life changing. A sibling can also act as a comfort when a child may not want to talk to mom and dad. Having someone close to the same age as a child, that understands completely what they are going through, can be highly beneficial to each child's mental and social development. Those who learn team work, love, and dedication will be able to be harder workers, more compassionate towards others, and have a sense of belonging. As far as I can see it, we can always use a little more of that in this world. 

Family is essential to our existence--it can only make the world better. Sure, sometimes, families aren't as happy as we want them to be, sometimes parents divorce, sometimes things don't work out the way you want them to, but families grow stronger and familes build stronger individuals.  So, should we be worried about the family? The answer is yes. Absolutely yes. 

as always, live happy,
Karlie 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello blogger friends! While we all love French fries, funnel cakes, and fried chicken, I think we can agree that the best "f" word, is family-- and that's exactly why I am here. I am Karlie Godfrey. I am currently attending Brigham Young University-Idaho as a Child Development Major. On "my eternal team", I will share my thoughts and opinions on family. For the next three months, my posts will consist mainly of my thoughts on a wide variety of topics discussed in my Family Relations class.  I'm new to blogging and I am excited to start this journey; I hope you will enjoy it with me! Please feel free to comment on my posts and give me some awesome feedback:) p.s. keep an eye out for the links to my classmates blogs too... you won't regret it:) Live happy, Karlie

More than "Just a piece of paper"

Nothing worth having comes easy. Throughout my life I have had the opportunity to witness a lot of marriages. I have seen the good and the bad. The fun and the scary. I have never been married myself, but the experiences I have gained throughout my life give me a sense of what I want a marriage to look like. I get that it is scary and unknown, but as I was thinking about what I could do to prepare now for marriage, I thought about my expectations. What did I think a happy marriage looked like? What did I see myself doing? How did I act? Would it be hard to acclimate to this new way of life? Would I be the perfect wife and have the perfect husband? Today, I'll tell you exactly what I think marriage should be like. First, let's start off by looking at the dictionary meaning of the word marriage. The Merriam Webster Dictionary defines it as: "Being in the state of matrimony of or relating to marriage; united, joined. While I agree with this definition, I also think marriage

Life's Greatest Calling

One of the hardest, and most important things we will ever do on Earth is create and raise children. I hope I have made it clear the past 12 weeks, that children are essential and that we should not delay having children. The children today, are our futures tomorrow. On this blog I have covered how to date, courtship, communication in dating/marriage, preparing for marriage, the importance of marriage, and sexual intimacy; so the only logical thing to cover next is raising children. I can not tell you HOW to raise children, but I can tell you what it is children need to thrive. There are five needs I am going to touch upon. While there are many, many, MANY more needs, I feel these are the ones many parents don't always recognize. The first need is: Need for contact and belonging When a child is not receiving enough contact or he feels as though he doesn't belong, what does he do? He seeks undue attention. Those who are seeking undue attention, usually come off as "an